[BangPypers] BangPypers Digest, Vol 8, Issue 15

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:12:01 CEST 2008

I am old school when it comes to program editors. I keep away from
IDEs as much as possible, unless there is not getting away from it.
The only thing which a good IDE gives according to me is visual
debugging. Everything else can be done by smart customization of
swiss-army-knives of editors such as Emacs/Vim. Hell, I even do
Java coding in Emacs + command-line ;)

In my 9+ years of working in software, I have tried many editors from
the stupid, simple to the complex and it has always been square one
back to Emacs. I guess once you get used to the freedom and power
Emacs + Lisp gives you, nothing feels comparable, taunts from vim
users not withstanding.

Still, some editors have impressed me - Kate (KDE Advanced Text Editor)
is one which I use occasionally. For Python, I sometimes use SPE
(Stani's Python Editor) especially for writing OO code, since it has a nice
built-in UML generation tab, which is quite useful for refactoring old code.
I wonder why nobody here has mentioned this good editor. It is strictly
for Python though.

However, I remain loyal to the Church of Emacs, since 1999 !

Regards

-Anand