[BangPypers] how to relclaim memory

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:24:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Prashanth Ellina
<prashanthellina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Python 2.5 (unlike 2.4 and earlier versions) is expected to release memory
> back to the OS when objects are de-referenced. Considering that I would
> suspect that you are still holding references to python objects.
>
> Do you have an objects of user defined classed which define the __del__()
> method? If yes, this would lead to an issue with for GC when collecting for
> circularly referenced objects.

Still, it is quite unnatural for a single Python process to claim 900 MB
of memory. Are you sure that the system memory usage is due to Python ?
Did you check the task manager for this ?

If you have cygwin installed, post the output of "top" command here.

> The gc module has some methods to help is figuring out what objects are
> still referenced. That would be a good starting point to track down memory
> issues.
>
> HTH,
> Prashanth
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Sibtey Mehdi <sibteym at infotechsw.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am using
>>         Windows XP,
>>         pythn 2.5, wxpython 2.8, pygame 1.8.
>>
>> Application over View:
>> In my application I am creating a dialog box that shows a treeView items
>> but
>> on closing of that dialog box I delete the objects that contains the tree
>> items. So I am trying to get that memory used by that tree items.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sibtey
>>

>> Sibtey Mehdi <sibteym at infotechsw.com> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > My system is showing 900MB usage of memory, I have deleted some object
>> (del
>> > pythonObj) but the memory is not returned to os, I have also tried
>> > gc.collect() and del (gc.garbage) but  still the system is showing 900MB
>> > usage.
>>
>> "Watson, I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize
>> before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit
>> theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
>>
>> Give me more data like the OS, Python version, any other applications
>> running,
>> virtual memory (swap memory) size etc.
>>

>> > Is there anyway to reclaim the memory?
>>
>> Not enough data to go on :)