[BangPypers] which framework is better pylon or django

Sanjaya Kumar Patel skpatel20 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:23:25 CEST 2008

> TG is nice. I have used it for a couple of apps but there's a lot of
> magic under the hood which which causes frustration proportional to
> the size of the project.

My experience with TurboGears 1.0.6 today is quite smooth. Of course, we were having some hurdles before a year or so, but now the stability and the documentation of the project seems quite good, although I can't give a comparative view, as I have not used other frameworks much.

> SQLAlchemy is a redeeming feature. From reviews on the net, it *does*
> seem to be the ORM of choice when using Python.
> Some of it's other components are not as hot though (although they
> have replacements). Kid is the first thing that comes to mind.

Genshi is taking over Kid as SQLAlchemy is taking over SQLObject. Today, anybody developing a serious application on TG would prefer TurboGears + SQLAlchemy + Genshi. In the coming version 1.1, these are the defaults. For a longer project, one could consider TurboGears 2.0, which is built over Pylons and promises a lot.

Sanjay