[BangPypers] py2exe

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 06:57:36 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 20-Sep-08, at 10:25 PM, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
>
>  This does have some 'limitations' though. There are a lot of people who
>> just want to run their 'applications' without dependency problems and such.
>> Being able to 'bundle' your software along with everything it needs into one
>> binary blob is what some people want to do.
>>

> That is why Linux software is distributed as DEB or RPM packages where the
> OS takes care of all the dependencies during installation.

Yes but those are specific to Debian/Ubuntu or Redhat/Fedora. These are fine
for real sysads but many people don't really know/want to know about package
management systems.

It would be nice to have one file which I can download and 'install' in some
sense (perhaps without root privileges). Something like
http://0install.net/or autopackage (
http://autopackage.org/). Similar to windows. Download, double click, click
a few "nexts" and you have a working app (as opposed to, add a line to the
apt.sources list, update, install cycle on Debian).

--
~noufal