[BangPypers] GUI framework in Python...

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:43:20 CEST 2008

If you want a simple, lightweight GUI framework without complex
event handling routines, and you rate yourself from Python
newbie-rookie-intermediate, I suggest easygui.

http://easygui.sourceforge.net/

Easygui uses simple functions instead of typical event-driven
model of UIs. I have not used it myself but I have read
good things about it from people who have. It is a good option
if what you are doing is a quick n dirty internal project which
will be used by you or your team.

However for any "serious" application with an expected
life of a year or more, I suggest the regular, event-driven
frameworks. For me this would be wxPython, anygui, tkinter
and PythonCard in that order.

--Anand

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM, vibha srinivasan <vibhaven at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would strongly recommend the open source Traits package and its
> accompanying GUI toolkit packages, TraitsBackendWX (or TraitsBackendQt)
> developed by Enthought, Inc.  (the project home page is
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits).
>
> The packages are available on pypi at:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Traits/3.0.2
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/TraitsBackendWX/3.0.2
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/TraitsBackendQt/3.0.2
>
> Besides providing a GUI framework (the GUI feature is optional actually),
> the Traits project provides support for explicitly typed attributes for
> Python.
>
> Disclaimer: I am an employee of Enthought, Inc. If you do try out this
> package, we would really appreciate your feedback.
>
> best,
> Vibha

-Anand