[BangPypers] Advanced Python or Understanding Python

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:00:16 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Roshan Mathews <rmathews at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since everyone seems to be mailing in today.
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7760178035196894549
>
> By one of the people behind Unladen Swallow incidentally.  What's with
> that name, btw?  Quite the mouthful, hard to swallow, so to speak.

Unladen => As in unladen transport vehicle, means light on load.
In this context, it means a lightweight object.

Swallow - I don't think this means the bird Swallow, but the
act of swallowing, which is what a Python does - I think this is
a reference to Python itself.

So "Unladen Swallow" -> A lightweight Python.

Quite cryptic I say... they could have opted for something more
straightforward perhaps...

> Regards,
> Roshan Mathews

-Anand