[BangPypers] Advanced Python or Understanding Python

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:03:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Think this panel was the only thing on the core ; or were there any other
> talks (i did not see any in the roster)?
> Do you have any notes from this panel?

Nope, there were other talks on the core too. Like writing the Python
C Extensions (Very good one, check the slides)  and Brett's talk on
"How Python is Developed" which was simplistic and was an overview.
There was talks on multiprocessing and then recent itertools module by
Raymond Hettinger.

Could not take any notes from the VM Panel discussion. But it essentially says,
- CPython serves as a reference implementation for other pythons.
- The other implementations have their own advantages vs disadvantages
(namely removal of GIL vs speed).
- There is No Competition whatsoever between these implementations to
out-do or try to become defacto implementation.
- The other implementations compatibility with the CPython release and
their plans to be compatible with Py3k. (Ironpython and PyPI may come
soon. but Jpython plans to get the Py2.6 compatiblity then target for
Py3k).

BTW, I think I have not shared with the group yet.

I presented a tutorial session on "A Tour of Python Standard Library".
You may find the Tutorial notes here: (at the bottom)

http://us.pycon.org/2009/tutorials/schedule/2PM6/

--
Senthil