[BangPypers] mobile application development

Pankaj Nathani croozeus at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 05:50:42 CET 2009

I have to say something here :-)

>Symbian is nearing end-of-life as the chosen platform for smartphones
for Nokia.

Well, thats not true. Symbian is going to be the platform for smartphone development for Nokia. Nothing is stopping them from doing so.

Maemo is target to high end mobile devices - tablets/netbooks, etc. So you will be seeing some products from Nokia on Maemo targeted to such consumers. Maemo and Symbian are never on the same level of competition, remember.

Symbian has its open plan for years ahead - Symbian^1 (already present), Symbian^2 (Starting 2010), Symbian^3 (mid 2010) and Symbian^4 (end 2010) ahead. Also, the same pattern reflects on Nokia's roadmap - the plan for 2010 and ahead from the Nokia's Capital Markets day.

Regarding PyS60, yes its getting better and getting more mobility functionalities - it has been ported to core 2.5 and you should be seeing a new release very soon as well. And yes, Python is also supported on Maemo.

Cheers,
Pankaj.
(Croozeus)