[BangPypers] mobile application development

Sam's Lists samslists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:47:50 CET 2009

I think whether you chose Symbian or Mameo comes down to whether you are
betting on the future of cell phones being Linux or not, and what sort of
time frame you are most concerned about.

Many cell phones currently run Linux behind the scenes.  The N900 (excluding
one or two failed "open source" phones) represents the most Linux-y of these
Linux phones.  By that I mean it is the closest to Linux in terms of the
ecosystem - the same tools, libraries, etc. we find on the desktop and the
server (and again - I emphasize closest..not the same).  I suspect that
twenty years from now the spiritual ancestor of many phones - not just from
Nokia - will be the N900.

I'll be shocked if Symbian is still available on new phone models five years
from now.  It will certainly take a while before Nokia switches everything -
and they have to be careful with what they say today - they still need to
sell plenty of Symbian phones in the meantime.

Now if your goal is to make a lot of money with an application that you
write in the next six months, clearly you'd want to chose Symbian over the
N900.  But really, you'd want to choose the iPhone if that was your goal.
And that would mean no Python.  :(