[BangPypers] Tuples vs Lists, perfromance difference

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:33:20 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:15:56AM +0530, Vishal wrote:
> After having everything in Python now, performance is something people want
> to look at. Hence these efforts.

Would you like to explain a bit more on this? Most often with Python
when I have found people speaking about performance and speed, it has
been associated either with incorrect expectations or some kind of
design mistakes which most of us do when we are beginning.

Your question on tuples vs lists is very corner case with respect to
performance. It should hardly matter for most programs. If it did
matter to you, I would like to know.

Also, when I mentioned about expectations, it is clearly wrong for us
to expect the performance of C++ in Python. A good comparison should
be Java and I have found interchanging performance differences for
applications in Java and Python.

--
Senthil
ONE LIFE TO LIVE for ALL MY CHILDREN in ANOTHER WORLD all THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES.