[BangPypers] Do we have any NetBeans IDE for Python users here?

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:33:14 CET 2009

Having not done any worth-mention active coding in past 2years, this is what
I write from memory :-)

OO Modelling and Visual Development, especially in terms of "free" UML
modelling support, in Netbeans 6.0/6.1 was far better than what was
available 'back-then' with Eclipse (I am talking of "free" tools). Also,
IMHO (and I know wars have started on such topics), from a initial
instialltion, download, deployment standpoing, the tight-packed Netbeans was
a bit easier to manage than Eclipse. However, my use of Eclipse and
Netbeans, and evaluation there-of, was for Java development.

For Python development (slight hobby, foo-bar programming), I've found
PyScripter (on Windows) to suffice in all respects, but a brief fling with
WingIDE showed that you can get that Eclipse mulitple-small window, multi
perspective 'type' features. I'm of the genre that likes their window
real-estate covered with multiple apps, and not 1 app hogging everything
micro-inch of screen space, so PyScripter, or Vim/Shell are what works for
me -- but then, it's enough for what I do.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Amit k. Saha <amitsaha.in at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> *Long* time ago ?
> >
> > Yup, may be I tried not with w.r.t Python, but for C++ and I am not
> > really sure. I had got the DVD via postal mail or at FOSS.in
> > conference.  Yeah, It could be for C++ and noticing that Python plugin
> > was not there, I went for Eclipse.
> >
> > Good work Amit on the Docs. I glanced through it and it looks promising.
>
> Thanks!
> <I did some code too :-) >
>

> > As you have already seem to know NETBEANS, can you help us by
> > illustrating some of the main differences whichs NETBEANS has (which
> > pydev or any other other IDE (Komodo, Wingware)) does not have?
>
> That is the exact reason I asked the BangPypers.
>
> I know and use Python in some of my scripts, for fun & learning,
> articles and foo bar tasks.. But I don't Python for a living or even a
> full time hobby.  So, my experience with other IDE's is merely having
> a 10 min or so look.. The largest Python program was a partially
> complete - Approximate Reasoning software-  was pretty large but I
> managed to manage it via IDLE. That was 1.5 years ago..So, my
> experience with IDEs is pretty limited..
>
> Your opinions will help me - and the other developers in the Python
> support for NetBeans, to shape up the future..
>

> Best,
> Amit
>

> > It might be good to post to documentations pages as well.
> >
> > --
> > Senthil

> Amit Kumar Saha
> http://amitksaha.blogspot.com
> http://amitsaha.in.googlepages.com/
> *Bangalore Open Java Users Group*:http:www.bojug.in
>
> "Recursion is the basic iteration mechanism in Scheme"
> --- http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TailRecursion

regards,
Banibrata
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta