[BangPypers] pycon India [was] Open source India

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Fri Feb 27 13:23:14 CET 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 17:19:26 Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
> > Btw the Barcamp guys had offered to actually host a Python conference
> > within their unconference. So that could also be a start. Someone need to
> > hook up
>
> Frankly, I dislike going this way. For one, it spreads energies
> and barcamp is definitely an unconference. I think the first PyCon
> India, if it ever happens should be a regular conference.
>
> Let us not confuse ourselves right from the start. Barcamp
> is barcamp, not pycamp, period.

ok. So we expect professionalism here. Which means that delegates would be
motivated enough to pay for their travel and accommodation, and also pay a
registration fee. Generally in India there is a class of person who only comes
if travel, accommodation are looked after and if attendance is free. People
should be able to find their own sponsors if they cannot afford it.

Secondly, foreign conferences are usually planned at least a year in advance.
Whereas we do things 2 months in advance. Here, given it is the first one and
that it will not be very ambitious, I think 6 months is ok.

Through NRC-FOSS I have a fair amount of organisational resources at my
command, But we are Chennai/Ooty based and hence need some one local also. If
we can agree on these basics, we can go to the next stage. btw, it is
premature to start a fresh mailing list or an organising committee at this
stage. Lets keep it on this list - after all there isnt such a huge amount of
traffic to be disrupted here.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves