[BangPypers] PyCon India Proposal

VidA vid at svaksha.com
Sat Feb 28 10:44:49 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:23, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.net> wrote:
> +1 for hosting PyCon India in other cities in coming years.

Suggestions for future events (maybe 2010/11(?)) :

+ Alternatively PyCon-India could be held multiple times in a year, in
each city which finds enough volunteers (read critical mass) to get
such an event going.
+ Heard a Colombian researcher (at the national coalition meet last
week) mention that they hold a day long event for Libre software
across 20 cities all over South America. They do this simultaneously
as a Libre s/w event.  Am not sure if a Python-only event will scale
that well across cities.

Anyway, ideas dont cost (not as much as implementing them :))

> The PyCon (US) used to accept everyone, including newbies; sometimes
> non-coders also coming as speakers.  They have tutorials targeting
> non-hard-core programmers.  Remember, Python is a language which can be
> learned within one month (or one week ? ;)

+1.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:56, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Best aim for the stars. In any case, I wanted to start us off. I'm not
> really clear on what a 'proposal' should contain as of now. We should trim
> down the aims though.

Yup, ground events/meets/(un)confs is definitely where the action and
(daresay) fun is :) My point was wrt the sponsors POV, who may (or
not) come on board in future, especially if promised the stars and
left undelivered. Not to suggest this will happen but a smaller set of
expectations is easier to achieve.  Maybe a stock-taking "after" the
event, if need be ??

> I think it should not become a "Newbies only" thing. People who have been
> hacking python for a long time should have good reason to come as well as
> the newbie.

true, this also depends on how the tracks/sessions are planned,
speakers, etc... which a structured conf has more control over, unlike
say an unconference (the analogy is probably not correct since the
focus is different for each event).

> Dedicated meaning that we're not planing to be part of a larger event like
> foss.in.

vielen danke for including low hanging fruit like me :)

@Bani : Hi *wave* long time no see :)

--
|| Vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||