[BangPypers] python

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:53:00 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 Jan 2009 12:50:43 am Sreekanth B wrote:
>> what u said may not be really true.... there are thousands out there
>> in France and Germany who cannot even write a sentence in English;-)
>
> but if they did, they would spell 'you' as 'you' and not as 'u'

My +1 to SMS lingo not really being "cool" when it comes to communication.

Sreekanth, you may not know this, but though it's accepted culture to
use "plz" and "u" and "thx" in certain communities (e.g. amongst
friends), a lot of customers world wide as well as tech folks do not
really use such language. Even if you do use shortened words, it's not
 considered exciting or cool or acceptable.

Just imagine the following scenario : You write an informative mail to
your customer, and that person now needs to forward this mail to some
other people. These people would be his colleagues, other vendors, or
even his own customers. Given that SMS lingo is not actually accepted
worldwide and often considered unprofessional, your customer would be
hesitant to forward your email. This is because he would be aware that
other people's attention would be drawn to your SMS-style shortened
words, and you'd be considered unprofessional. Further, this will also
reflect on your customer. This is because others will now wonder about
how professional he is if he's dealing with a person who cannot even
write a proper email. Note: "proper" here is what they consider
proper.

I'm writing the above based on my own observations at work. I also
closely interact with the trainers at our company who receive inputs
from global management on what practices to inform our people about.

Your being non-english medium educated has no bearing on your using
shortened words. Lots of English-medium educated people us such words
too.