[BangPypers] how to learn programming

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sat Jan 17 13:06:30 CET 2009

On Saturday 17 Jan 2009 5:04:07 pm Chetan Nichkawde wrote:
>   The only way to learn programming is to program.

I have been writing code since 1986, but never considered myself a programmer.
My code does what is needed and doesn't crash, but most of it is cut and
paste and repair without really knowing what I was doing. This year I decided
to do something about it. I remember reading somewhere about setting oneself
small problems and incrementally increasing the complexity. Rather like going
to the driving range of a golf course now and then to shore up the
fundamentals. At the same time I am too busy (and not the type) to take a
book and work at it from beginning to end.

At the same time I have to keep to deadlines and produce working
applications - so what I do now is: Every day open the Python cookbook at
random and work on whatever recipe it opens at. Try to customise it. Often it
is stuff that I know (or think I know). I do it anyway - one recipe.
Thorough. The first one happened to be writing a class to convert
temperatures from any scale to any other - that took me three days exploring
all the highways and byways it opened up.

Coding against deadlines does not really help one improve one's skills - the
deadline is there, so one repeats what one already knows and resorts to ugly
hacks and compromises. Also workarounds since there is no time to learn
something new.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves