[BangPypers] how to learn programming

venkata subramanian venkatasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:12:49 CET 2009

There is a distance between an algorithm (its pseudocode) and implementation.
This distance is lesser for (a class of or many classes of) algorithms
in one language
than the other due to the language level abstractions offered by the language.
This reduced distance greatly helps a new algorithms student who want to try
out ideas and see them work.

The trade-off might be that you might great a better performing implementation
with the language with lesser abstraction. But, that does not matter
for the student who
is learning algorithms and data structures.

But, once she gets the hang of it, she might proceed to learning about
optimizing it.

Regards,
Venkat