[BangPypers] how to learn programming

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 17:18:21 CET 2009

> Since 80s to late 90s many Indian/foreign(US etc) have been teaching
> programming in C/C++.When I talked to 2 ex-professors in India,they observed
> that the rigor when students go through using c/++ is higher than
> java/python.For.e.g.manipulation of linked list,hash table.

Can you define 'rigor'? If you mean, number of hours spent, I agree with you
but that's not a very good metric.

IMO better programming is not just understaning the layers of abstraction
> but understanding some intracacies,what goes below the hood.

Yes and this is served better by actually studying the intricacies rather
than language implementation details. Worrying about things like memory
allocation/deallocation, corrupt pointers etc. are fine if that's what you
want to do but if you're trying to implement a complex data structure and
spend your time hunting for a bad pointer, it's a waste of time.

--
~noufal