[BangPypers] how to learn programming

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Fri Jan 23 19:09:14 CET 2009

Learning programming via C will force you to understand data structures like
lists, queues and hash tables better purely for the reason that C does not
provide them in the standard library.

C++/Java/Python do via STL and standard libraries respectively. Generalizing
C++ with C shows how misunderstood C++ is. C++ is not C with stuff bolted
on.

Teaching C in the first year of engineering compared to a language like
Python, Lua or Ruby is a sure way of turning off students to the joys of
programming.  Not everybody needs to know how to implement a linked list and
a queue.

A vast majority of technical graduates go on to do programming either as
software developers and/or engineers in other streams do NOT have to do low
level programming. If they were taught to solve problems using a dynamic
language like Python/Lua/Ruby instead of twiddling bits, we would see newer
applications being built by non-CS graduates in their domains.

Oh well, why would CS professors be concerned about productivity.

A lot of my mechanical engineering classmates(who were bright students)
where scared to death of FORTRAN and C, because C made it so difficult to do
simple things like Computer Graphics (which is what they wanted to
accomplish in the CAD lab).
A library like Pygame would have allowed them to write CG apps and CAD
programs without racking brains about C  and pointers.

+PG