[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridhar.ratna at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 06:31:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Srijayanth Sridhar<srijayanth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Jayanth. I am new to BangPypers and Python in general. I have
> been working on Ruby however so I am not lost or anything.
>
> I wanted to point out that on ruby-lang several posters from India seem to
> have no concept of how to phrase questions. They also lack the basic
> curiosity to try common things before they go asking around for answers.
> I've pondered for a long time why this phenomenon is particularly large here
> whereas nearly everywhere else, even in countries where English is a
> non-native language, people actually stick to basic etiquette.
>
> Either the proportion of posters who ask for answers outright is really high
> from India, or I am just being overly critical. What do you feel are some of
> the reasons for this?

Hi Jayanth,

I don't know the reasons either, but would like to know too.

I often think the best way to handle such posters is to momentarily
divert the topic of the conversation to their own interest-level,
curiosity and self-learning . For example, I'd respond to Prasad like
this:

Hi Prasad,

Yes, do you want to know? http://www.google.ca/search?q=python+xml+diff+tutorial

> Should we include any library?