[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Fri Jun 12 14:42:39 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM, vid<vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> hmm.... kindly define "real name"[0], "real identity" with respect to
> the online world. If the owner of <swtest123 at gmail.com> had used
> "Manmohan Singh" or "Rita Rai" instead of "testing123 test", would you
> trust them more ?
>
> [0]  i've been using a nick, for years and dont bother with the whois,
> the domain  belongs to someone else :)

While a name like "Manmohan Singh Ph.D(oxford econ)" may be treated
with suspicion, I see no problem
with a name like Rita Rai. I do not care for real names, as long as
the nick you use is acts as smart you are in real life.

> The faq may be relevant for the developed nations which have much
> better infrastructure and resources than ours. IMPO, i find the faq
> rude, presumptuous and insensitive, especially when talking of a
> "community" (isnt that what linux, python, ruby, foo, foo-bar, is all
> about?) that wants to spread and exchange knowledge.

The best thing about computers is there are no geographical boundaries.
I cannot and will not wait till somebody gives my country a
certificate saying "you are now a developed nation".
By your own argument, you should start talking with a "developing
nation" slant to show solidarity.
Obviously, you are not. What made you be better than that?  A
privileged education, smart friends, patient mentors,
your own hard work and patience?

My reply to the OP was in good faith, while assuming no incompetence
on the part of the poster in question,
while it was my  first reaction to it too. I have interacted with
enough young Indian developers (just out of college etc)
to understand that for every `n` developers who write "plz help" there
are a `k` who go on to become very good.
While `k<<n`, I care enough to reduce the gap by sharing what I know.

I'm exchanging knowledge by contributing my take on the issue, while also
quoting well known references on what I say, which is how knowledge is
transferred.
You say your piece and back it up by the best references you can find. That is
the accepted way of academia, industry and arts.

You may not agree with the reference I  quote, but that's your prerogative.
You are free to do your own research on the topic and share your findings.

By your own admission, you are trying to be borderline anonymous.
I recommend you to read the 1st reference on using real names, if you haven't.
May be you wouldn't have replied the way you have if you had to put
your real name behind it.

Cheers,
+PG