[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Srijayanth Sridhar srijayanth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:57:16 CEST 2009


On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Pradeep Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM, vid<vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> > hmm.... kindly define "real name"[0], "real identity" with respect to
> > the online world. If the owner of <swtest123 at gmail.com> had used
> > "Manmohan Singh" or "Rita Rai" instead of "testing123 test", would you
> > trust them more ?
> >
> > [0]  i've been using a nick, for years and dont bother with the whois,
> > the domain  belongs to someone else :)
>
> While a name like "Manmohan Singh Ph.D(oxford econ)" may be treated
> with suspicion, I see no problem
> with a name like Rita Rai. I do not care for real names, as long as
> the nick you use is acts as smart you are in real life.
>

What's in a name? Everything? Nothing? Irrelevant?


>
>
> > The faq may be relevant for the developed nations which have much
> > better infrastructure and resources than ours. IMPO, i find the faq
> > rude, presumptuous and insensitive, especially when talking of a
> > "community" (isnt that what linux, python, ruby, foo, foo-bar, is all
> > about?) that wants to spread and exchange knowledge.
>
> The best thing about computers is there are no geographical boundaries.
> I cannot and will not wait till somebody gives my country a
> certificate saying "you are now a developed nation".


Actually, I disagree. You might be right if you are trying to imply that
there might be no *implied* regionalism in this context. However, several
things, as in life, assume the properties of the person/place where it comes
from, and several standards often indicate that.

I do agree with you on the fact that when one posts on a forum not limited
by geographic boundaries, one ought to try and adhere to certain basic
principles that govern that forum.


>
> By your own argument, you should start talking with a "developing
> nation" slant to show solidarity.
> Obviously, you are not. What made you be better than that?  A
> privileged education, smart friends, patient mentors,
> your own hard work and patience?
>

Right. All are factors no doubt. Which is why we are having this discussion
I suppose :D


>
> My reply to the OP was in good faith, while assuming no incompetence
> on the part of the poster in question,
> while it was my  first reaction to it too. I have interacted with
> enough young Indian developers (just out of college etc)
> to understand that for every `n` developers who write "plz help" there
> are a `k` who go on to become very good.
> While `k<<n`, I care enough to reduce the gap by sharing what I know.
>

Correct and good on both counts.

You say your piece and back it up by the best references you can find. That
> is
> the accepted way of academia, industry and arts.
>

Actually, with the arts, that mightn't be always true ;)


>
> You may not agree with the reference I  quote, but that's your prerogative.
> You are free to do your own research on the topic and share your findings.
>
> By your own admission, you are trying to be borderline anonymous.
> I recommend you to read the 1st reference on using real names, if you
> haven't.
> May be you wouldn't have replied the way you have if you had to put
> your real name behind it.


Names are irrelevant on the internet, so I agree with both of you in a
certain way.

Jayanth
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/bangpypers/attachments/20090612/adad6c84/attachment.htm>


More information about the BangPypers mailing list