[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Lakshman Prasad scorpion032 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 13:21:31 CEST 2009

This is not the first time someone has questioned, why it is Indians most
often caught asking questions without a little basic research.

There has been an interesting discussion on this topic on reddit recently.
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7wnha/more_hword_confusion_a_blog_post_about_clever/c07m4ci
Incidentally the tone expressed in this email is exactly same as the
discussion there!

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/12 Srijayanth Sridhar <srijayanth at gmail.com>:
> > I don't doubt that its a global phenomenon, however, I am still curious
> > about the reasons for its prevalence out here.
>
> I will add my little theory to this discussion.
>
> If you are from a middle class background with no appetite for
> entrepreneurial risk, but want a better life than your parents did, there
> are few professional career options.
>
> Doctor? Architect? Lawyer? They require dedicating a serious chunk of your
> life and are one-way streets. But programmer... excuse me, software
> developer? By gosh, a big company will make a software developer out of
> anyone in just three months, plus you get to go abroad and settle down. If
> it doesn't work, no big deal. You didn't invest five years and half your
> parents' savings to realise that.
>
> Ergo, we get a lot of people trying out to be programmers but not entirely
> sure this is what they want, and bringing in that one key habit that got
> them through life: when you need to know something, ask someone.
>
> You have a leak in your bathroom and need a plumber? Ask someone if they
> know a good plumber! Whoever heard of the yellow pages?
>
> And the same thing online. Need help? Ask someone! They say there are these
> things called mailing lists where knowledgeable people hang out? Go there
> and ask someone!
>
> Does this mean they are mindless? No. It means they simply haven't had the
> incentive to understand how this stuff works. They are not trying to be good
> programmers. They're trying to have good careers with respect to the visible
> hierarchy around them.
>
> Someone actually had the same problem and the answer is recorded in web
> pages, which one can discover by typing key phrases into a search engine?
> Gee, what a novel concept! Whoever knew search engines could be used for
> anything more than popular keywords?
>

> --
> Kiran Jonnalagadda
> http://jace.zaiki.in/