[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 07:14:57 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda<jace at pobox.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/12 Srijayanth Sridhar <srijayanth at gmail.com>:
>> I don't doubt that its a global phenomenon, however, I am still curious
>> about the reasons for its prevalence out here.
>
> I will add my little theory to this discussion.
>
> If you are from a middle class background with no appetite for
> entrepreneurial risk, but want a better life than your parents did, there
> are few professional career options.
>
> Doctor? Architect? Lawyer? They require dedicating a serious chunk of your
> life and are one-way streets. But programmer... excuse me, software
> developer? By gosh, a big company will make a software developer out of
> anyone in just three months, plus you get to go abroad and settle down. If
> it doesn't work, no big deal. You didn't invest five years and half your
> parents' savings to realise that.

+1 to your theory.

Around 1997, I used to work as a lab assistant at Aptech (A computer
education chain.) in Mumbai. I've seen parents visit the Aptech centre
with their supposedly good for nothing sons, learn about the course
options, get swayed by the glorious future that the "career
counsellors" promise them, and then say to their sons, "Since you
don't seem to be good at anything else, at least do a computer
course".

-- Sriram