[BangPypers] Good Python training in blr

Ramdas S ramdas at developeriq.com
Tue Jun 16 07:29:19 CEST 2009

IMHO, even an experienced hand in C/C++ or Java need not take to Python
easily, because of the baggage they carry, and they expect certain things to
work the way their favorite language works. This can be quite frustrating if
learning Python is for a project they need to start next Monday. This is
where a trainer can help, because the trainer can guide and point out
potential pitfalls, and get a developer through the basics in a jiffy.

While most of us in this group are self taught Python developers and has
perhaps enjoyed from the joys of self learning, it wont be a nice experience
if someone targets that "I am going to be a Python developer by next week"!

I guess getting trained is also more about productivity, also if the trainer
is really good, then even an experienced Python developer can learn one or
two new tips and tricks.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 10:23:04 Banibrata Dutta wrote:
> > > frankly people who need to be _trained_ in python can't be of much
> > > calibre. I
> > > can understand using python to train people in programming, but not the
> > > other
> > > way around.
> >
> > Isn't that too much of -ve assumption and generalisation ? I've known
> > excellent programmers adept at using other languages, but a training
> helped
> > them a lot with getting them quickly started. Of course, the mileage did
> > vary, but the above generalisation is completely unfounded.
>
> I was expressing a personal opinion. My experience in the few python
> trainings
> that I have done was that I ended up training people in programming rather
> than in python as such. And since I am not much of a programmer, I have
> given
> up conducting python training. The most I am willing to do is a ten minute
> session with the python shell and make sure people know the 'dir' and
> 'help'
> commands. I also found that most of the people I had 'trained' in python
> migrated back to the languages they came from (php or dotnet).
>
> As for languages like C, training makes more sense as it is a tough
> language -
> I have never managed to learn it. And training in perl makes even less
> sense
> as there are so many ways to do things that trainer and trainee will never
> see
> eye to eye.
> --
> regards