[BangPypers] Testing for documentation as a release criterion

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:47:39 CEST 2009

If you run PyLint on any Python file...it gives you documentation percentage
of functions, methods, class, modules in your code tree.
it prints that out as a table. if you can scrap that info from the resulting
file...that should help as well...
basically it should be 100% for all the above..if not, someone needs to
complete the documentation.

http://www.logilab.org/857

<http://www.logilab.org/857>please do remember that, PyLint depends on two
more packages from logilab.
useslogilab-astng <http://www.logilab.org/project/logilab-astng>,
logilab-common <http://www.logilab.org/project/logilab-common>

Hope this might be of some help.

As far as running tests are concerned:
It would be better if a test can get the __doc__ string, and search for
specific things in that string..such as 'input', 'output', 'description' and
make sure that these are not empty. How about enforcing that these
documentation strings should follow YAML format :))
that should make it so much easier to examine them.

__doc__ should be:
"""
   blah, blah, blah
- Inputs:
   blah, blah, blah
- output:
   blah, blah, blah
"""

Best regards,
Vishal Sapre

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm doing something similar for a nascent project at my workplace. My
> plan was to enforce some kind of structure as well. I'm not familar
> enough with Restructured Text and any of the other Python text
> processing libraries so I'm not sure what to do yet. You could perhaps
> also mandate an example for all API functions and then test then with
> doctest.
>
> As a concept, I think it's swell.

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre

---

"So say...Day by day, in every way, I am getting better, better and better
!!!"
"A Strong and Positive attitude creates more miracles than anything else.
Because...Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"
"Diamond is another piece of coal that did well under pressure”
"Happiness keeps u Sweet, Trials keep u Strong,
Sorrow keeps u Human, Failure Keeps u Humble,
Success keeps u Glowing, But only God Keeps u Going.....Keep Going....."