[BangPypers] Testing for documentation as a release criterion

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:38:34 CEST 2009

Nice to now you felt good on this suggestion..it just occurred sort of :)my
experience with YAML says that, its best to use:
load from syck and dump from yaml.
if you are not going to dump YAML, and not going to work on complex YAML
stuff...use syck for loading....you'll be much happier with that.

Best of Luck...
Vishal

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Srijayanth Sridhar <srijayanth at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you run PyLint on any Python file...it gives you documentation
>> percentage of functions, methods, class, modules in your code tree.
>> it prints that out as a table. if you can scrap that info from the
>> resulting file...that should help as well...
>> basically it should be 100% for all the above..if not, someone needs to
>> complete the documentation.
>>
>> http://www.logilab.org/857
>>
>>  <http://www.logilab.org/857>please do remember that, PyLint depends on
>> two more packages from logilab.
>> uses logilab-astng <http://www.logilab.org/project/logilab-astng>,
>> logilab-common <http://www.logilab.org/project/logilab-common>
>>

>> Hope this might be of some help.
>>

> PyLint seems useful, however...
>

>> As far as running tests are concerned:
>> It would be better if a test can get the __doc__ string, and search for
>> specific things in that string..such as 'input', 'output', 'description' and
>> make sure that these are not empty. How about enforcing that these
>> documentation strings should follow YAML format :))
>> that should make it so much easier to examine them.
>>
>> __doc__ should be:
>> """
>>    blah, blah, blah
>> - Inputs:
>>    blah, blah, blah
>> - output:
>>    blah, blah, blah
>> """
>>

> ..this is nicer since I can plug yaml right into PyYaml.
>
> Very nice suggestion.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jayanth

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre

---

"So say...Day by day, in every way, I am getting better, better and better
!!!"
"A Strong and Positive attitude creates more miracles than anything else.
Because...Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"
"Diamond is another piece of coal that did well under pressure”
"Happiness keeps u Sweet, Trials keep u Strong,
Sorrow keeps u Human, Failure Keeps u Humble,
Success keeps u Glowing, But only God Keeps u Going.....Keep Going....."