[BangPypers] Fwd: [PyCon-Organizers] PyCon Twitter Bot

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:12:36 CEST 2009

Hi Noufal,

       The main use of the bot for a conference is for sending updates
via twitter. The way it works is as follows.

1. A twitter bot account for the conference is created on twitter.
For our conference it could be "inpycon" for example.
2. An admin befriends the bot.
3. For broadcasting (tweeting) a message, the admin sends a command
to the twitter bot with the message to be tweeted and the bot "tweets" it.
4. Everyone "following" the bot gets the update.
5. We can also publish the update on the website in this case,
the in-pycon website.

These are "push" bots.

The bot will be running on a server, in this case it should ideally run
on the inpycon server.

I have the twitter reflect script written by Stephen Crimm for Pycon
with me. I can take care of installing this on our inpycon server
and administering it.

I just need root ssh access on the inpycon machine. Kenneth,
can u send this info to me directly ?

Thanks

--Anand

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Anand Balachandran
> Pillai<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >           This was posted in Pycon-organizers a while back.
> > Perhaps this is useful for our twitter organizing ?
> >
> > Noufal, let me know if I need to follow up on this. Will do so gladly!
>
> I'm not too clued in on what the bot does or how we can use it. Can
> you post some details?
>
> If it can increase visibility and possibly attendance we should go for it.
>
> --
> ~noufal

-Anand