[BangPypers] Today's IRC meeting

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Tue Mar 3 07:47:50 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 10:30:16 Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> * Date
>   - When is the conference?

3,4,5 september 2009

>   - Are there other conferences around at the same time?

this is India - no one plans so far ahead ;-)

> * Positions (IMPORTANT)

handling money is the point where conferences here get into trouble. In order
to open a bank account one needs to have a registered society/organisation. Of
course an individual can open an account, but very few people would want to
take the risk. We faced this problem last year with fossconf08 chennai. The
LUG was not registered. NRC-FOSS handled the finances - it being a quasi-
government body and subject to audit meant that no one could swallow the funds
- or be accused of doing so. This is a possible solution - of course NRC-FOSS
will take its cut for the administrative expenses involved. The other solution
is to set up a registered body, but I feel this would be premature as we do
not know what the response will be - this could be discussed in the conference
and a body set up there somewhat on the lines of linux conf australia.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves