[BangPypers] UML <=> Python...and other things...

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:09:37 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Does anyone know of a tool that can produce Python code from UML
> diagrams?
> > Is something of this sort being added to NetBeans?
> > Or is it that the ease of programming in Python acts as a deterrent in
> the
> > way of having to create something in UML and then covert that model into
> > Python.
> > it would be good to have a tool of that sort (Python to UML and UML to
> > Python)?
>
> For Python to UML try PyUMLGraph.  It does the reverse engineering for you,
> i.e
> produces UML diagrams (remember, not call graphs but UML diagrams
> with relationships among classes/modules etc) by inspecting live
> Python objects.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyUMLGraph

Is the project is dead and gone! Atleast, the project URL (
http://www.pobox.com/~adamf/software/PyUMLGraph/) seems to be.

> I am not sure if the latter makes sense, since Python is
> meant for quick programming & development. How much
> does UML-code and UML-design help in Python projects ?
> I am not sure. I think it might even slow down the Python
> development cycle.

Reverse engineering complex but well-structured/designed Python code, that
has stuck to some "by-the-book" OOAD, might make it easier for new enggs
taking it up for sustenence / enhancement.

--
regards,
Banibrata