[BangPypers] UML <=> Python...and other things...

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 07:04:24 CET 2009

Hi,
I found out that BOUML now generates python code !!

Also there's something called as LUMPY which generates runtime call graphs
and shows execution paths. Need to try that out.

Came across many others:
Dia - for drawing UML diagrams, Dia2Code - for converting the DIA diagrams
to code
PyNSource - reverse engineering python code into UML diagrams (not
impressive...the images are not good)
Umbrello - This one looks real promising. Its available in the KDE for
Windows distribution. Docs say it does full roundtrip UML <=> Python <=> UML
PyUML - is a plugging for Eclipse, built on PyDev and UML2Tools
PyUt - need to try this one out.

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Does anyone know of a tool that can produce Python code from UML
> diagrams?
> > Is something of this sort being added to NetBeans?
> > Or is it that the ease of programming in Python acts as a deterrent in
> the
> > way of having to create something in UML and then covert that model into
> > Python.
> > it would be good to have a tool of that sort (Python to UML and UML to
> > Python)?
>
> For Python to UML try PyUMLGraph.  It does the reverse engineering for you,
> i.e
> produces UML diagrams (remember, not call graphs but UML diagrams
> with relationships among classes/modules etc) by inspecting live
> Python objects.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyUMLGraph
>
> I am not sure if the latter makes sense, since Python is
> meant for quick programming & development. How much
> does UML-code and UML-design help in Python projects ?
> I am not sure. I think it might even slow down the Python
> development cycle.
>
> > Also, is there a way to find Python call graphs (something like Doxygen),
> > but not just the typical static code structure...instead something that
> can
> > tell execution paths while a certain function is called.
> > I came across 'pycallgraph'. Its good. except two things, its slow for
> big
> > projects, and it goes all the way into tracing every single call...that
> > means if I am using a COM library underneath, it traces that as well.
> What I
> > was interested in is figuring out only part of the trace...may be
> specifying
> > exclusions in the trace tree.
>
> You might also want to look at Stani's Python Editor (SPE) which
> produces UML diagrams directly from Python code without needing
> any other tool or plugin.
>

> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Vishal Sapre

> -Anand

"So say...Day by day, in every way, I am getting better, better and better
!!!"
"A Strong and Positive attitude creates more miracles than anything else.
Because...Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"
"Diamond is another piece of coal that did well under pressure”
"Happiness keeps u Sweet, Trials keep u Strong,
Sorrow keeps u Human, Failure Keeps u Humble,
Success keeps u Glowing, But only God Keeps u Going.....Keep Going....."