[BangPypers] PyCon India IRC Dicussion #2

Vinayak Hegde vinayakh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:41:04 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Parthan SR <parth.technofreak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The second round of discussion happened at #bangpypers on 12th March 2009
> between 9.00 - 9.45 PM. Unlike last week, the attendance was quite low this
> time, especially the big shots missing from the scene. Hence we just
> reviewed certain things
> which got concluded during the last meeting. Following is a quick MoM for
> yesterday's meeting,
>
> [1] Structure of the Conference
> * should be a mixture of all tracks/types on all 3 days. The prior idea that
> each day to be of a type doesn't seem good
> * tracks should typically be web development, system programming and desktop
> application development
> * CfP needs to be finalized and sent out as soon as possible
> * lawgon announced that the conference app is almost done. Ramakrishna
> requested feature to vote and discuss on submitted abstracts to be made
> available in the app. Once it is done, we will evaluate it for further
> progress.
>
> [2] Possible Venues (listed by Ramakrishna)
> * IISc
> * IIM
> * St. Josephs
> * Christ College
> We need volunteers to approach these probable venues and find out about
> availability, before next meeting.
>
> We also decided to fix constant day and timings for IRC meets from now. As
> certain people are not available during night hours, we will have an
> extended discussion time, followed by a one hour meeting time. People who
> are not able to attend the meeting can discuss during the day time and their
> points will be raised during the meeting by the moderator. What say?
>
> --
> With Regards,
> Parthan SR "technofreak"

Doesn't anyone think that 3 days is an overkill for a first time
conference ? I would say keep it 1.5/2 days on a weekend so people
from other cities can travel. Think small and manageable.

You might be able to get Christ College for free / low cost as there
are several people there who are enthusiastic about FOSS. I might be
able to get Honeywell (through ACM Bangalore as supporting org) for
free if it's a shorter duration (1-2 days) and single track / dual
track conference.

As for the IRC meets decide on 2 days of the month (7th and 21st) and
time and stick to it. That way it is predictable. Meetings can get
more frequent once we are closer to the conference date.

-- Vinayak