[BangPypers] Help python to implement binary parser

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:28:15 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Jins Thomas <jinsthomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks alot for all the previous helps i have got from this group.
>
> I'm currently planning to implement a binary parser which can convert binary
> or ASN1 files to text format. This i need  in a teleco background where
> almost all the network elements provide binary/asn1 data format of call
> events.

How complicated is the format?

> Would somebody tell whether python is a good option for this kind of parsers
> compared to other languages. I felt like it's easier to implement in python,
> but not so sure about the performance aspects compared to C/C++/Java/Perl.
> I also saw one parser module at   http://www.acooke.org/lepl/

Wouldn't this kind of thing be unpacking some kind of binary object
into a python data structure? I don't think it'd be as fast as C but
it might be close enough for you to work. Shouldn't take long to
prototype it though. Also check out http://pyasn1.sourceforge.net/

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in