[BangPypers] Google Go

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:29:02 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Mahadevan R <mdevan.foobar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [..]
> > "By Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, Ian Taylor, Russ Cox,
> > Jini Kim and Adam Langley - The Go Team"
> [..]
>
> That caught my eye too but another language?

But I don't see the Python connection at all here.

 "Go is mostly in the C family (basic syntax), with significant input from
the Pascal/Modula/Oberon family (declarations, packages), plus some ideas
from languages inspired by Tony Hoare's CSP, such as Newsqueak and Limbo
(concurrency)"

 In the entire FAQ the word "Python" is just mentioned once.
 The Python line seems to be a marketing thing to me.

 Also this line is funny.

 "The company says that Go is experimental, and that it combines the
performance and security benefits associated with using a compiled language
like C++ with the speed of a dynamic language like Python"

 Heh, speed of Python and security of C++ ? I thought it should be the other
way around! Who did the marketing for this...!

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

--Anand