[BangPypers] Google Go

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:18:18 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
> abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> > > <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > [..]
> > > language
> > >
> > > Perhaps they meant speed of development and the security associated
> > > with strong static typing.
> > >

> >  Upon 2nd reading, I also thought they did, but not a very good
> >  disambiguation there I daresay. But "security benefits associated to
> >  a compiled language" -  I fall flat there since I don't see any
> >  correlation with a language being compiled and its security!
> >
> >  Pretty shoddy marketing this...
> >

> That's what the big boys of the world wants you to believe. I had met a
> very
> senior official in the government a techy himself and spent 3 hours showing
> him virtues of Python and Django, hoping that they will change the RFP
> terms.
>
> I found out yesterday that the application has to be developed  on a proven
> technology like Java,C++ or C#. When I spoke to the gentleman he said his
> consultant said that dynamically typed languages are not safe for mission
> critical work. The work is far from being mission-critical is another point
> altogether.....

  The point is that so called compiled languages provide more security
 loop-holes than interpreted ones. C++/C for example provide liberal
 scope for buffer overflow exploits due to use of pointers and manual
 memory management.

 Accessing any buffer outside the scope of your data structures is always
 a potential window for the malicious hacker for buffer overflow exploits.
 And C/C++ are notorious for making this easy providing you with
 different ways of shooting yourself in the foot...

> > > --
> > > ~noufal
> > > http://nibrahim.net.in
> > >

> > --