[BangPypers] Google Go

Darkseid lorddaemon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:25:16 CET 2009

> Go combines the development speed of working in a dynamic language
> like Python with the performance and safety of a compiled language
> like C or C++.
It could just be the cynic in me, but this looks a lot like the
marketing MS did to sell VB.Net to VB devs. Vague phrases that aren't
precisely inaccurate, but aren't very clear, targeted at a very specific
audience that (presumably) aren't experts in other areas.

I understand it's fun to create and play with languages, so good stuff,
but the goals of this language seem a little vague. I like the fact that
Go has reflection (but I haven't looked into how comprehensive that is)
but every other design goal they've talked about seems to be already met
by Objective-C (systems programming, fast, statically typed, closures,
elegant OO, gc etc. + message passing which Go doesn't mention).

Plus I'm always vaguely annoyed every time I run into the assertion that
static typing in some way increases the 'safety' of the code.

Best,
Sidu.
http://blog.sidu.in
http://twitter.com/ponnappa