[BangPypers] Google Go

Roshan Mathews rmathews at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:44:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The point is that so called compiled languages provide more security
>  loop-holes than interpreted ones. C++/C for example provide liberal
>  scope for buffer overflow exploits due to use of pointers and manual
>  memory management.
>
>  Accessing any buffer outside the scope of your data structures is always
>  a potential window for the malicious hacker for buffer overflow exploits.
>  And C/C++ are notorious for making this easy providing you with
>  different ways of shooting yourself in the foot...

That would be because C/C++ are weakly typed, not because they are
compiled.  Java is compiled right, does it have buffer overruns?

I would assume that people are arguing for strong typing for
efficiency.  A language with run time dynamic dispatch, like say
Python, will always be slower than something which is statically
typed.

The "looks like Python, runs like C++" is more than just marketing
speak.  I don't know anything about Go, beyond that what I saw in the
Youtube video.  But that's the exact same "ideal characteristic" that
other language designers are aiming for, from the few that I know.