[BangPypers] But IDEs rock! (was Google Go)

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:52:09 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Darkseid <lorddaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. It's easy to hire an IDE-aware monkey to do programming in "proven
>> technology"
>>
> I do most of my work in Ruby (and have done for a few years now). Every day
> I bemoan the lack of a powerful refactoring IDE like Java has in IntelliJ. A
> good IDE is a massive productivity booster; you can only get so far with a
> text editor*, no matter how many macros you have set up. Honestly.

I think what Pradeep was stressing was the kind of coders who expect half
the software to be created by the magic of IDEs. I know several VB
developers who cannot write five lines of code all by themselves without the
familiar IDE interface. They exist, they are all around you. I have a
customer who is still implementing a project that was originally assigned to
a very Big IT shop (one among the top 3 in the country) which was supposed
to be completed in 2004. I see a battery of developers writing code every
day sitting at the customers place. I had show the original SRS document to
a senior project leader

No one here is debating the benefits of IDE. Even I wish there was a better
IDE for Python sometimes.