[BangPypers] But IDEs rock! (was Google Go)

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:13:38 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Darkseid <lorddaemon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, yes, I know, I know. While I'm no vi or emacs guru, I've paired (for a
> fair amount of time) with experienced VI and Emacs users. Snippets, Ctags
> etc. help a great deal - but have you ever worked with an AST aware
> development environment where you can safely make structural changes across
> your entire codebase?

I'd much prefer an AST aware code refactoring tool which my editor can
interface with rather than something built into my editor. Separate
components that communicate with each other etc. The whole UNIX
thing.*

I'll admit that I not very much into the agile workflow so refactoring
is not something I do heavily. Perhaps I'd see things differently if
that was the case.

I'd also like to use the same 'editor' for all my text-typing needs
(that includes code, email, documentation, essays, blogs, IRC etc.).
It's quite nice to have the same keystrokes, macros and other things
work consistently in all places where I have to type. You probably
know what I use by now. :)

[..]

* Since this came up (and I think I've already mentioned this to you),
you should check out the wily editor -
http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~oz/wily/. Not just refactoring, but it even
delegates global search/replace to an external process. :)

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in