[BangPypers] Python moratorium

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 07:30:46 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
>> <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > A.M. Kuchling has published an article related to this on LWN.
>> > This has been under discussion in Pydev for a couple of weeks now...
>> >
>> > It would be interesting to know the opinion of folks here on this...[..]
>>
>> I've been following the discussion. I think it's eminently sensible.
>>

>  I also thought so. More than the catching up part, I think perhaps
>  Guido is worried about widespread Python 3.x adoption. This will
>  help a lot in that direction.

Unladen Swallow is a serious cog in the works as far as Python 3 is
concerned. I expect the speed boosts to be significant and they're
targetting the 2.x releases. If a public release candidate is ready,
it's a solid argument to *not* migrate to 3.0. I'd love for the
changes to be ported to 3.0 but have no idea of how much work or what
kind is involved which is why I'm itching to have Mahadevan speak this
next Sunday. :)

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in