[BangPypers] SciPy India 2009 - SciPy.in

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Sun Oct 4 08:17:27 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

>> > weird: http://fossee.in/whydrupal
>>
>>   Hadn't noticed it was written in Drupal. Well, they might have an
>>   excuse since they are focusing on "Scipy" rather than just Py!
>
> I am quite annoyed by the FUD about plone - granted plone is a pain to
> customise, but a Q&D CMS? All it needs is click click click - what on earth is
> this guy doing with buildout, restarting zope etc etc? Not that I would expect
> much from someone who is comfortable in drupal. SciPHP anyone?

Plone has the easiest setup story of all the CMSes. You don't even
need to have a database  and a webserver for $deity's sake. Some how
installing and configuring a database, and a webserver is easier than
running an installer !

I think the key quote from the TFA is "Since
I had some experience with drupal, I suggested that we go with drupal,
since I had some experience with its working. I worked for a couple of
hours to set up a basic site on my local machine"

Yeah? really? what about downloading a windows installer or a mac
installer  for plone and doing a click-click-click as KG suggested
and be done with it in minutes?

The biggest joke of all has to be the fact that all the features that
I see on their site, including events works out of the box on plone
without installing a single external plugin. And plone's event
features have lot more features than the half-assed calender i see on
that site.

PHP+MySQL is the BASIC of this age.

+PG