[BangPypers] SciPy India 2009 - SciPy.in

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Sun Oct 4 15:37:24 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Sidharth Kuruvila
<sidharth.kuruvila at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Hey, no need to dis Php, or Drupal for that matter, it's actually a
> mighty fine language for what it does. And they have been making it a lot
> better(namespaces, closures and, possibly just for Pradeep, goto).

Pretty weak sauce, don't you think. How did  you go from my response
to "Hey Hey, no need to dis Php, or Drupal for that matter"?

TFA is akin a person who has played baseball all his life being
assigned with the task of starting a cricket team in his school. He
comes over to a cricket practice session, swings the bat couple of
times in the air, misses the ball and goes back to write an article
saying how lame cricket is. [and vice versa].

Read gems like this:
""There was also the option of going with Django, which we discarded
because most of our site would be static and we thought it would be
too much work to do for a static site""

Well, if all you want is a static site, there are LOT more options.
For instance, Jekyll http://jekyllrb.com/ which is familiar to all who
have used github or webgen[2] or my own webgen.py[3] which Zed Shaw
has used/modified to power his popular blog and lamsonproject
website[4][5].  Where is the evidence for the TFA's author's  honest
attempt to use a python framework before dissing them and using
Drupal?

And what about "Django CMS procedure was too cumbersome."
Django CMS installation[1] is standard fare for anyone who has gone
through the django 4-part tutorial.

""very simple and instinctive. Drupal provides an interface that is
uncluttered and quite uncomplicated to navigate through. Also drupal
has a whole suite of modules that provide scale the functionality of a
website to great levels."" -- at this point he could have as well be
making tender love to Drupal.

The more I read, the more I see evidence of trying to justify the use
of Drupal more than doing an objective evaluation.
He could have said "Boss, I know Drupal best. I can do more with
Drupal in the given time than any other CMS. But, since you asked me
to evaluate python CMSes I'm going to cruise past them and call names
so that you know that I tried".

PHP is not the problem. The *users* of PHP tend to get wired in weird
ways after using it exclusively like the basic/vb programmers of the
yore.

There is not enough evidence for us to believe that your typical
PHP/Drupal developer is a connoisseur of CS concepts like closures.
Owning a bat once used by Don Bradman does not guarantee that the team
will beat Australia.

+PG

[1] http://www.django-cms.org/en/documentation/2.0/installation/
[2] http://webgen.rubyforge.org/