[BangPypers] [ANN][X-Post] SciPy India conference in Dec. 2009

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:40:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> >   This is what is said in the Django FAQ also.
>
> Be practical. You are asking to write a Django application and start
> customizing it by writing code and take the headache of maintaining
> it?

  It is super-easy to write CMS-y applications in Django. I have written
  one for my personal use (for monitoring investments) at home with my
  limited knowledge of Django.

 I can tell you I enjoyed it. The whole admin module of Django makes
  maintainence easy.

> >> Setting up Plone and customizing is not very easy. I have tried and
> >> gave up. Most Plone sites have a typical plone look and it indicates
> >> that it is not easy to customize that. Try comparing number of themes
> >> available for Drupal and Plone.
> >
> >  It did not look like the scipy.in site is customizable.  I registerd as
> > user
> >  there and there was no user customization options. But perhaps you
> >  just mean site level customization.
>
> I'm taking about customizing appearance.
>
>   Hmmm.... they are running a conf website, aren't they ?
  Well, I dont want to argue too much but a CMS system is not all
  about customizing appearance and theming.

> The person behind Plone might be a wiz and it might be possible to
> build super-powerful websites using Plone. But Drupal beats Plone when
> it comes to setting up simple websites like a conference website and
> customizing look and feel.
>
> >From the appearance I can immediately say that http://www.eiao.net/ is
> running on Plone. It has a typical Plone look. I couldn't say that
> scipy.in is running on Drupal just from it look and feel.

  There is another reason why they chose Plone which you are not
  aware of and which many people miss when building websites. Plone
  is one CMS which is most developer friendly when building accessible
  websites, which the disabled and blind want to access. Since this project
  is all about accessibility, they chose it. The developer being a Python
wiz
  helped, but that is not the main reason, nor is any special love for
Python.

  The whole website is keyboard navigable and highly accessible.
  Also try http://ws.eiao.net/ for a slightly different look and feel,
though
  I agree it is still "Plone"-ish.

> Btw, some part or whole of scipy.in is running on Django.
>
> http://scipy.in/scope

 EOF. Let them run whatever they feel like. I am out of this conversation.

> Anand

--Anand