[BangPypers] Weekend Meeting

Rajeev J Sebastian rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 19:49:55 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Rajeev J Sebastian
> <rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> One other thing that we'd discussed the last weekend was how those who
>>> are Python savvy can be a part of the Belenix developer community.
>>
>> Does it use python the way Pardus uses it ? Like the init system,
>> service manager, package manager, etc.
>
> Err.. No. Belenix is a distro that is based on the opensolaris ON
> (operating system + network), uses KDE, aims to be an appealing
> desktop to the user and to the developer, and has been the basis of
> Sun;s OpenSolaris distro. We're working toward using a free toolchain,
> and apart from the kernel and Firefox, everything else on Belenix has
> been built using GCC 4.4.1.
>
> Since we're a KDE based distro, we're users of the QT framework. At
> the moment, KDE on Belenix is not Solaris - aware. That is, KDE
> components do not have Solaris specific functionality such as
> management of file systems, UI for the seriously amazing networking
> stack, support for Zones and RBAC, etc. From a service side, there is
> a lack of web based management /REST interfaces to administering the
> system. Interesting and useful tasks would be to create management
> interfaces for file systems, network stacks, observability, and
> similar tools that would make the life of sysadmins easier.
>
> These are projects that we as BangPypers can undertake, and learn a
> lot in the process.

Blah blah blah ... yes I know its Solaris etc.

Question is, are there are specific Belenix components written in
Python, as in Pardus Linux which uses Python extensively ? Or was that
a call to developers to create new tools using python ?

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian

PS: You wrote above re the management tools; Pardus has a tool thats
being developed and used at Turkey's Ministry of Defence to
administrate Pardus desktops, servers and networks (its called Ahenk,
developed in Python and available in the pardus svn).