[BangPypers] Unstructured data and python

Carl Trachte ctrachte at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 20:31:13 CEST 2009

On 10/16/09, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone worked/seen any project which involves migrating unstructured
> data, mostly text files to a reasonably indexed databas preferably written
> in Python or has Python APIs.
> I am even ok if its commercial project.

FWIW, when I worked in a Microsoft SQL environment, I used DTS for SQL
7 or 2000 with the win32com modules and SSIS for with IronPython for
later versions.

It was usually a standard process of glueing together a bunch of data
in a csv file with Python, then automating the DTS or SSIS program to
dump the data to a database table or series of tables.

You could probably do something similar with MySQL or Postgres.  The
hard part was always writing the Python to do the situation-specific
initial crunch of the data.

Carl T.