[BangPypers] Ideas for an opensolaris demo for web app developers

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:34:19 CEST 2009

Sriram,

I think if you and Moinka can present what all Belenix can do for Python
developers and what all Pyrhon guys can do for Belenix, it'll make a lot of
sense.

What you are planning makes sense to me and a few guys, who actually need to
worry about hosting web apps.

Please check with others on the interest on this topic
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm glad that I was able to show case ZFS basics to you all.
>
> Based on conversations that we had after the talk, Moinak and I have
> decided to come up with a presentation aimed at web programmers
> (mainly, Python web programmers).
>
> My intent is to present the following:
>
> - recreate an entire deployment scenario on your personal computer on
> Belenix, where you use a form of light weight virtualization (zones)
> to set up a MySQL zone, two app server zones running Django/something
> else each, a Linux firewall zone that replicates the real world DMZ
> scenario, an apache zone that has an apache load balancing between the
> two Django zones.
> - Back each zone with a ZFS file system
> - Each Zone should have the same public IP address that you have in
> the real world (to the extent that you even use the exact same
> firewall rules).
> - Use DTrace to diagnose the app in each zone
> - Snapshot the zone's file system, and then deploy the Zone onto
> another computer.
>
> One could do most of the above using VMWare, except that here, we do
> all of the above on our laptops/desktops without the over head of
> VMWare.
>
> I'd like to know if there's any sample web application that you'd like
> to see deployed in the example above.
>
> Please let me know if you'd like to have something else in the dem,
> and Moinak and I will figure out a way to incorporate all change
> requests.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Sriram

Ramdas S