[BangPypers] Suggest me an opensource project!!

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Mon Oct 19 07:26:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 10/19/2009 10:00 AM, Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy wrote:
> I  want to participate in python open source  projects,can you people
> suggest me one which has around 2000 to 3000 lines of code and no
> dependencies on other
> libraries please.

Although picking up a small project and working on it by yourself is one way to
participate in an open source project. There is another easier and more
satisfying way --

a. Search for something that interests you. Something that you use or would like
to customize for your use. Or, something that you have an interest in exploring.
There are thousands of projects to choose from at:
  http://sourceforge.net/
     Choose something sufficiently 'mammoth' (in your terms).

b. Join the project's mailing list and search through the project's bugs list.
See, if there is some thing that seems easy and manageable there and offer to
fix it. Ask for clarification/assistance on the mailing list if needed.
     Another way to approach the searching for bugs, is to actually start using
the application you intend to contribute to :) !! ...you'll eventually come
across some behavior that you would like to 'fix' or change.
     It could be as simple as changing/correcting error messages or adding
additional logging, or including a 'not-critical-but-nice-to-have' option ...etc.
     Many large projects could use help on a lot of such small tasks, which
never get done because there is always something with a higher priority for the
core developers to tackle.

c. After fixing few such bugs, you would have not only gained some confidence
but also would have learned enough about to the code base to tackle larger
issues like a feature request.

The advantage of this approach as opposed to doing a small toy project is that
you will learn to deal with large code bases without getting overwhelmed and
also would be more likely to continue contribution. Furthermore, you would get
bragging rights as a contributor to a large well-known project :).

The whole point of this reply is -- It is great that you want to contribute to
an open source project ! However, don't waste time in writing 'yet another' mp3
player or editor or organizer or calendar or calculator ...we already have too
many of those. Yes, you /will/ learn a lot by doing any of those but you would
learn *as well as contribute* by starting small in a large project.

HTH,
cheers,
- steve

PS: