[BangPypers] some doubts regarding python

Shashwat Anand anand.shashwat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 01:01:39 CET 2009

*# 1:*

>>> sum([1, 2, 3], 4)
10

How does it actually work ?
( ( (1 + 2) + 3) + 4)  or ( ( (4 + 1) + 2 + 3)

sum( ) -> sum: (sequence[, start]), so shouldn't 4 be the 'start' that's
second case ?

"Note that sum(range(n), m) is equivalent to reduce(operator.add, range(n),
m)"

>>> sum ( [ [ 1 ], [ 2, 3 ] ], [ ])
[1, 2, 3]
What's happening here exactly ?
[ 1] + [2, 3] = [1, 2, 3] is understandable, but why do we pass a [ ] as a
[start] parameter to do so ?

>>> reduce(operator.mul, [1, 2, 3], 4)
24
how does it works ?
( ( (1 * 2) * 3) * 4) or (((4 * 1) * 2) * 3)

*# 2:*

I wrote an LCM function of mine as follows:

import fractions
def lcm(mylist):
    # lcm by defination is Lowest Common Multiple
    # lcm (a*b) = a*b / gcd(a*b)
    # lcm (a, b, c) = lcm(lcm(a, b), c)
    # the function lcm() returns lcm of numbers in a list
    # for the special case of two numbers, pass the argument as lcm([a, b])
    sol = 1
    for i in mylist:
        sol = sol * i / fractions.gcd(sol, i)
    return sol

print lcm(range(1, 11))  #gives lcm of numbers (1, 2, 3....,9 ,10)
print lcm([2, 3])             #gives lcm of two numbers, a special case
print lcm([2, 5, 6, 10])   #gives lcm of a random list

However I also did a dirty hack as an alternate approach :

import fractions
l = [1]
print max( ( l[i-2], l.append(l[-1] * i / fractions.gcd(l[-1], i ) ) ) for i
in range(2, 12) )[0]
# prints the LCM of list (1, 10)

However to shorten the code i made it totally unpythonic.
Can reduce( ) or any other function be of help ?

Let me take a test-case as an example:
I want to multiple all the content of a given list,
now say my list is lst = [2, 3, 9]
I can do:

sol = 1
for i in lst:
    sol *= i
print sol

However this can also be done as:

>>>reduce( operator.mul, lst)

Can it be done via List Comprehension or we have to do dirty hacks as
mentioned above :(
Can the LCM function be reduced ?

*The point is if we insert a variable( sol here in both test case and LCM
case), which changes its values dynamically depending upon the next values
of the list, how can I calculate so without going through the long way of
using for-construct*, which makes me feel as though i'm coding in C. reduce(
) or even sum( ) does helps in some cases but it constrains me as per my
requirement. Any pointers ?