[BangPypers] link

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Thu Sep 3 21:43:28 CEST 2009

On 09/03/2009 10:46 PM, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:43 PM, bhaskar jain<bhaskar.jain2002 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>  Nice link -  http://aymanh.com/python-debugging-techniques
>>  We can have this thread were we discuss our own debugging techniques.
>>  I uses syslog :(
>>  and kind of like 'inspect' and 'traceback' modules.
>

> * Debugging: Guido uses print statements for 90% of his debugging and
> a debugger for the times when his brain stops working or he has to
> debug some wierd code that someone else wrote.

Of course the primary difference, IMHO is most python programmers are debugging
application/modules written in python whereas Gudio debugs the language itself
and the standard library. I wonder how many regular python users ever need to
put a print statement in any of python's standard modules (I've done it a couple
of times, just because the docs seemed too obscure/complicated/vague to be
bothered with and it was faster for me just to use print).

Anyways, regarding the question, I find that most python programmers I've met
either use print (and other variations like traceback.print_*) or a custom coded
logging/debuging module.

Recently, i've come across these two which might be useful, but I haven't had a
reason to try them out yet:
http://wordaligned.org/svn/etc/echo/echo.py
http://codeinvestigator.googlepages.com/main

...and lastly, I've used pdb occasionally (actually, the most frequent use was
when being dropped in the built in pdb prompt when anaconda (the Red Hat/fedora
installer) barfs) and even then, I didn't really find it all that useful from a
'debugging' perspective. It works well only to examine state.

cheers,
- steve

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/