[BangPypers] [OT] Guido's Tweet on Top Posting

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Fri Sep 11 10:14:50 CEST 2009

On 09/11/2009 01:24 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Friday 11 Sep 2009 11:00:41 am Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>>  On Friday 11 Sep 2009 10:54:27 am srid wrote:
>>  >  > From Wikipedia:
>>  >
>>  >  """
>>  >  Objections to top-posting on newsgroups, as a rule, seem to come from
>>  >  persons who first went online in the earlier days of Usenet, and in
>>  >  communities that date to Usenet's early days. Until the mid-90s,
>>  >  top-posting was unknown and interleaved posting an obvious standard
>>  >  that all net.newcomers had to learn. Among the most vehement
>>  >  communities are those in the Usenet comp.lang hierarchy, especially
>>  >  comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++. Top-posting is more tolerated on the
>>  >  alt hierarchy. Newer online participants, especially those with
>>  >  limited experience of Usenet, tend to be less sensitive to arguments
>>  >  about posting style.
>>  >  """
>>
>>  BS
>
> why? in the first place I am extremely sensitive to top posting, but have never
> used usenet or been in a C forum. I only learned about interleaved posting in
> [...snip...]
> Therefore 'Newer online participants, especially those with
>   limited experience of Usenet, tend to be less sensitive to arguments about
> posting style.' is sheer BS. The majority of people online are just as
> sensitive to arguments about good manners as the old timers. The only thing is
> that they are ignorant.
> [...snip...]
> btw, I am not talking of the general non-IT mailing lists.

Just to be a pedant, I should point out that the quoted paragraph clearly states
that "Objections to top-posting on /newsgroups/..."

The entire paragraph is in the context of newsgroups (and Usenet in particular).

Also, about the original tweet --  That is possibly just an off hand remark
(directed at one particular person) by a guy, just the fact that the guy is gvr
and is saying something unexpected when taken out of context is not reason
enough to post it to a python mailing list, IMHO. Doing that is plain stupid but
unfortunately it happens all the time with twitter. This is exactly what I hate
about twitter -- there is no context.

cheers,
- steve

--