[BangPypers] [OT] Guido's Tweet on Top Posting

srid sridhar.ratna at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 03:55:52 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Friday 11 Sep 2009 10:56:09 pm srid wrote:
>> > does GVR top post?
>>
>> I have seen him doing both. An example of him top-posting,
>>
>>   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/python-dev/3743554
>>
>> and here, for instance, he does not use top-posting,
>>
>>   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/python-dev/3743452
>>
>> Did the first instance of top-posting hamper communication in
>> python-dev@ any way?
>
> if you read the post you will find that  he is closing the discussion by
> dismissing the idea - looks like an administrative post to me, the idea is to
> hamper communication on this point.

This is a straw man. Perhaps, I should rephrase it: Did the first
instance of top-posting made the post significantly less readable,
with context, than bottom-posting?

>> Objections to top-posting *as a rule* is silly.
>
> please be polite - invective never wins arguments.

Please explain what is "invective" (insulting, abusive, or highly
critical language) about anything said here. And what would be a
polite alternative, according to you? Would you consider the following
to be polite?

  "Objections to top-posting *as a rule* is BS."

-srid